Thursday, January 23, 2014

How to break the master cleanse in a nutshell

What do you eat when you break a fast? How to break the master cleanse? Everyone has a different opinion, so I made up my own system by combining multiple resources.
When I started the master cleanse, I was already on a very good diet. 1500 calories from whole foods was my goal. Very little fat, meat or chicken 3-4 days a week, beans & eggs for high protien, and few sugars and carbs. I eat a good amount of raw fruits and vegetables throughout the day and try to have at least one raw thing per meal.
This was my first success at fasting for 10 days, so I wanted to share my experience of what I ate when I broke the master cleanse.
Please note that all of my lemonades had quite a bit of pulp in them from hand juicing them, so I was not worried about not following Stanley Burrows book on drinking orange juice first. The point of the orange juice is to introduce pulp into your system.

On day 10, I did the Salt water flush in the morning and regular amount of lemonades during the day. At 8pm, I ate 1/2 grapefruit. I felt a little strange in my tummy afterward for about an hour. After an hour, my lower back started to hurt around the kidney area for another hour. After that, I felt fine. 

Day 11: (breaking of the master cleanse)
1/23/2014
Woke up at 6:15 hungry. NO MORE SALT WATER FLUSH! YEAH! Ate an entire apple. Chewed very slowly and efficiently. No tummy upset. Weighed 125 lbs. That puts me at about 13 lbs lost! So funny because I didn't think I had anything to lose. I bet I'll gain most of it back....although my diet is so good, I might not! I feel great. Very clear headed, increase in libido, and happy attitude. Cooked a HUGE crockpot of veggie chili. It has Garbanzo beans, barley, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, spinach, salt, pepper, kelp flakes, cumin, oregano, tumeric. Hardly any broth...I don't like brothy soups. I did not count the calories for the soup because I think I will be WAY under my 1500 calories for the day anyways.

Eating Schedule for the first day off of the master cleanse.
6:30 Ate Apple *72 calories
8:30 Ate 3/4 Grapefruit (baby had the rest) *75 calories
9:00 Ate a couple pieces of cabbage as I put it into the soup *2 calories
10:30 Ate a 4.5 ounce roma tomato (IT WAS SOOOO GOOOOOOD) *27 calories
12:30 Ate a kiwi and a small salad (1 1/2 cups total. spinach, carrots, cauliflower, 4 almonds, 1 tsp sunflower seeds, 4 cherry tomatoes) *150 calories
2:10 Ate 1.25 ounce raw peanuts (chewed WELL), 5 grape tomatoes *205 calories
3:30-? Munched on 5.5 oz cut veggies (carrots, cauliflower, celery, broccoli, cucumber) *40 calories
4:30 two strawberries. I just can't stop. I am so excited to eat! My tummy feels good! *10 calories
6:30 A half bowl of soup (veggie chili). Probably  Oh my it was so good and hot. I was very full when I was done. I chewed each bit thoroughly. *200 calories
8-10 A bite here and there of the soup *50 calories

Total of 830 calories. I feel VERY full. The soup was amazing and very filling.

After the heavy soup, my stomach made all kind of weird feelings, but it never hurt. I have sensations of the food moving through my intestines. Almost like I could go to the bathroom, but not quite. I did not go today at all. If I don't go tomorrow, I will do a salt water flush.

Day 12:
Woke up at 6:30 not hungry. When I was fixing everyone else breakfast, I started to feel hungry at 7, so I ate an apple. Feel like I need to use the bathroom, had a very small amount of gas during the night (not from food itself, but as my intestines are starting to work I think). Sipped on a kombucha all day with tea and water to drink.

Eating Schedule for the second day of the master cleanse.
7:00 Apple *72 calories
9:00 Half Grapefruit *50 calories
12:00 Spinach and veggie salad with nutritional yeast and lemon for dressing. Had one bite of rice & a bite of greek yogurt. *100 calories
Kombucha throughout the day *60 calories
Veggie Tray *120 calories
Dinner (soup and bread roll with butter) *400 calories

EPIC FAIL
Made a nut/seed/honey candy (pasteli) and ate and ate and ate it. LOADS of calories and sugar. felt TERRIBLE and shaky. Wanted to throw up. What was I thinking?! I even felt dizzy, light headed and couldn't see properly. Drank a cup of tea made with 1/2 TABLESPOON cinnamon, stevia and a smidge of vanilla extract so that I could get it down. Cinnamon is supposed to help with sugar absorption/crap. It was pretty much awful and didn't do anything.

Day 13:
Ate small amounts of veggies and raw nuts all day. Did not eat ANY of the pasteli. Small dinner. Had a glass of wine that night. Drank SWF in the morning. Did not go from it at all. Must have got stuck with all of that sugar. Yuck.
Made a gallon of homemade yogurt (got it started). Slowly added more food.

Day 16: Ate meat (chicken) for the first time without any issues. Will resume regular meat eating schedule.

Day 17: Not eating anything today. I am drinking lemonades without maple syrup or cayenne. Simply lemon with stevia for sweetness. I feel great. Hunger pangs have come and gone, but as of 1:30, still feeling good. I want to do a 1 day fast every monday and once a month, do 3 days on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. I think it will help to keep things running efficiently.

My experience breaking the master cleanse - in a nutshell.

I will probably break all of my fasts this way: 
  • Eating raw fruits and veggies. Raw nuts are also good too, however, I have since learned that you should soak nuts for 12 hours before eating them. They are easier to digest and give you the most nutritional benefits. 
  • Add in one type of "food" per day. Dairy, Breads, Oils and meats should be added into the diet one day at a time, starting on the second or third day off the cleanse. 
  • DO EAT YOGURT! I made a gallon of yogurt because milk was on sale....it was a very wise choice and will do that after each master cleanse or fast that I do.
  • Chew your food slowly if you can.
  • Make a meal list and stick with it. Work whole foods into your diet. Learn how to sprout grains and nuts. Learn to soak your flour before using it. Make your own breads and take your time in the kitchen. It's fun and your body will thank you for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment